U7-U10 Academy Program
Pearland United Soccer Club is proud to offer a skills oriented soccer program focusing on technical development for its U7-U10 players. This program is created and administered by the Pearland United professional training staff and follows US Soccer Federation & South Texas Youth Soccer Association (STYSA) recommended training regimens. For general questions and information about the program, please contact Mickey Garcia, our Academy Director at email@example.com.
Within this age group the ability level from player to player is extraordinarily diverse. One player can dominate an entire game while another player never touches the ball. Pearland United is committed to implementing best practices recommended by US Youth Soccer to ensure that each player’s skills and tactical awareness are developed to their fullest potential. We also want the players to have fun and experience a deep enjoyment of soccer.
U7 and U8: For U7 and U8 age groups only…We are excited to implement a new program similar to the South Texas (STYSA) Academy Program and recommended by both US Youth Soccer and U.S. Soccer! This program has been successful both within Texas and many other states and is now being rolled out within STYSA. You can read more at this link: South Texas Academy Program.
What should parents expect?
- This new program only applies to U7 and U8 age groups (U9 and U10 will compete in the BAYSA gaming league, see below)
- Players will be registered to the Academy Program, rather than individual teams
- There will NOT be set teams
- Team rosters are dynamic and may change each week
- There will NOT be parent coaches
- Teams will be coached by our professional training staff on gamedays
- We will play most games “In-House”, meaning against other Pearland United teams
- It is possible we will play some games against other Houston Area Clubs on selected weekends throughout the season (details are still being finalized)
- We will play “In-House” games at Hickory Slough at standard times. This will allow parents to know the schedule without knowing which team your child is on for any given gameweek.
- If and once details with other clubs are finalized, on selected weekends we will play games at either Hickory Slough or other clubs’ home fields.
The Board and training staff have evaluated this program, agree with the recommendations of STYSA and US Youth Soccer and have agreed to implement it this Fall for U7 and U8 age groups. We feel this new program will help to improve the development of soccer skills across all players more efficiently and effectively than our previous model.
U9 and U10: These age groups participates in the BAYSA gaming league, playing games against partnering BAYSA clubs. At the start of the season each player participates in a club-wide evaluation process over several training sessions. Our professional training staff observes each player and collaborates to determine peer groups (or tiers) of players at similar developmental levels. Teams are then formed based on these peer groups. Teams are not coed. These balanced teams, once formed within each tier, will then play games with other matched teams in same tier from the partnering BAYSA clubs. Volunteer coaches will be selected from within each team to communicate important information and coach the team on gamedays. We aim to make every game competitive across the entire program and to place your child on a team where he or she has a chance to succeed. As the season progresses the results of each game are analyzed and both player and team adjustments may be made when the data and/or common sense dictate.
Another key goal of our program is to ensure that your child is learning what they should be learning, individual skill development (i.e. dribbling & general ball mastery). A child's experience is largely influenced by their coach and the material the coach chooses to teach. The luck of the draw can end in discontent or a fantastically rewarding season. In most leagues it's a coin toss. We want to take luck out of the equation. Our professional staff will run all training sessions utilizing STYSA recommended training curricula. Our goal is to make sure every child enrolled in this program gets the most advanced soccer training available while maintaining a fun environment for all.
Important Note: Our Academy program is a recreational soccer program that is focused on the development of each player, not wins and losses. As such, all aspects of the program from training to team formation and game play (positions, etc.) are geared toward improving individual player skills to prepare them for higher levels of play at the U11 and up levels. Although we will look to wins and losses as a data point in determining the strength and weakness of our program against our peers, wins and losses are primarily used to decide whether a team will need to be moved up or down to a higher or lower skill set tier (to make sure teams are playing evenly skilled teams). As another primary objective, we also want each child to HAVE FUN playing soccer and finish the season with a positive experience from beginning to end.
Practice Schedule: Unless otherwise communicated, all Academy sessions will be held at Hickory Slough Sportsplex using the following practice schedule:
- Monday: 6:00pm - 7:10pm
- Wednesday: 7:10pm - 8:20pm
- Monday: 7:10pm - 8:20pm
- Wednesday: 6:00pm - 7:10pm
Program Cost: Cost for this program varies from season to season (see the registration links on the Pearland United homepage for current costs) and includes complete uniform kit with 2 jerseys, shorts, socks, and practice tee; 2 one hour and ten minute training sessions a week; and all club, field, and insurance fees.
BAYSA Gaming League
Your U9-U10 child will play regular season games in the Bay Area Youth Soccer Association (BAYSA) gaming league. BAYSA is a member of the South Texas Youth Soccer Association (STYSA) and through STYSA is an affiliate of United States Youth Soccer (USYS), the United States Soccer Federation (USSF), and Federation International de Futbol Association (FIFA). STYSA is comprised of 30 Member Associations, including BAYSA, involving a large volunteer base of coaches and program administrators. BAYSA oversees both a Fall and Spring season for member clubs that form teams in developmental (D4), recreational (D3) and competitive divisions (D2, S2 and D1). BAYSA provides unbiased game scheduling, a discipline and protest committee to assure fair play in accordance with the rules, oversee scorekeeping to assure correct documentation of the games' outcomes, and arrange for the game referees.
Additional information about game play:
- The U7/U8 season consists of 8-10 games played against "In House" teams from Pearland United. It is possible some games may be against other clubs in Houston, pending finalization of details with those clubs.
- U7/U8 Rules of Play
- 4v4, single field
- No goal keepers, but can play as a defender (no hands)
- No offside rule
- Trainers will coach and ref the games
- The U9/U10 season consists of 8-10 games played against "at-level" teams from other BAYSA clubs including: Pearland United, Galveston County, Manvel, Alvin, South Belt, Quest (Deer Park), East Lake Houston, Space City FC, Soccer Centro, and North Channel.
- U9/U10 Rules of Play
- 7v7 only (no negotiated variations) with goal keepers
- Referees provided by BAYSA
- Offside rule applies
- Trainers will run all practices
- Volunteer coaches will coach the teams on gamedays
- End of season playoffs
Please check out the BAYSA website for more information.